Sugar Land Texas has a host of landmarks and attractions. These attractions are the main drivers of tourism and consequent settlement in the region. The article covers some of the main landmarks in Sugar Land.
The Stafford planation was established in 1822 by William Stafford. The family had originally moved away from Tennessee after being convinced by Steven Austin to relocate to Texas and bolster the economic performance. The plantation specialized in sugar production and cotton processing. The plantation managed to succeed due to the diversification. It was, however, burnt down during the Texas revolution by Mexican troops. After it was rebuilt bit eh family, it spurred the development of Stafford. Hence, any time someone is in Stafford, he or she is standing at the cemetery of Stafford point plantation.
Sugar Land auditorium
Sugar Land auditorium was constructed in 1917 using the mission revival style. It was part of a school complex comprising of elven buildings. The building is the oldest public building in use in Sugar Land. It is listed as a historic landmark for the state of Texas. Since its development it has been used to host cinemas, stage shows, socials and graduations. It has also been an office for the city officials in the past.
Sugar Land town
The city of Sugar Land is also a major landmark in the region. The town was founded in 1853 by two beneficiaries from the California gold rush. The founders were crucial in organizing the Texas rangers at the beginning of civil war. The town was the only site in the entire state of Texas to have a sugar mill. The town was aptly named since it stood out from the rest of the state which had focused on the specialization into cotton production. The town has a framing market which was also intended to benefit other forms of farming. It benefited mainly from the sugarcane farmed by convicts.
Texas prison system central state farm main building
The building can be traced back to the 1870s. The building served as an administrative post for the prison system. The convicts farmed over 5237 acres of sugarcane to sustain the prison needs. The establishment of the farm and the administrative building came at a time when members of the public thought that the prisoners were supposed to be earning their keep as opposed to relying on the governmental funding. The main building was however completed in 1932. This was after there was a significant improvement of the prisoners’ living conditions a major departure from 1870s when prisoners were treated as commodity to be leased out. The building is different from the rest in the complex. It is designed according to modern tenet. Some of the features that can be noted include the square tower complete with a pyramid looking roof, casement windows and chamfered corners. The building points to the prison reforms in the larger state of Texas that took place in 20th century. It is also recognized as a major historic landmark of the state of Texas.